Better Communication with Your Health Care Provider
Talking with your health care providers is important so they understand your concerns and so you can understand their instructions for taking care of yourself. There are things you can do and questions you can ask to have better communication with your doctors.
Three Questions for your Good Health
Every time you talk with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist, use the Ask Me 3 questions to get answers to important questions or concerns about your health. It is helpful to write down your questions and take them with you to your doctor’s appointments.
Use these 3 questions as a guide:
- What is my main problem?
- What do I need to do?
- Why is it important for me to do this?
What if I ask and still don’t understand?
- Let your doctor, nurse or pharmacist know if you still don’t understand what you need to do.
- You can say, “This is new to me. Can you please explain it again?”
Asking these questions can help me:
- Take care of my health
- Prepare for medical tests
- Take my medicines correctly
You should not feel embarrassed if you do not know something. Your doctor is there to help you.