Early Elective Deliveries
Effective Date: January 1, 2021
This policy provides reimbursement guidelines for billing early elective deliveries.
- NJ FamilyCare/Medicaid
- Fully Integrated Dual Eligible Special Needs Plan (FIDE-SNP)
- Early Elective Delivery: Scheduled cesarean sections or medical inductions performed prior to 39 weeks of gestation.
In accordance with N.J.S.A. § 30:4D-9.2 and the New Jersey Medicaid Managed Care Contract, Horizon NJ Health will deny Early Elective Deliveries that are not medically indicated in accordance with established standards of clinical care as provided by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG).
For dates of service beginning on January 1, 2021 and thereafter, claims for delivery services must include the gestational age diagnosis code (Z3A.XX). Horizon NJ Health will deny any delivery service claim that does not include such diagnosis code.
For dates of service beginning on January 1, 2021 and thereafter, claims submitted for Early Elective Deliveries (i.e., claims with a gestational age diagnosis code of less than 39 weeks) also must include one or more of the following additional diagnosis code series to demonstrate that the service is medically indicated: O10; O11; O12; O13; O14; O15; O16; O24; O30; O31; O33; O35; O36; O42; O43; O44; O45; O60; O71; or R03. Horizon NJ Health will deny any claim for an Early Elective Delivery that does not include a diagnosis code from one of the following code series supporting medical necessity (O10; O11; O12; O13; O14; O15; O16; O24; O30; O31; O33; O35; O36; O42; O43; O44; O45; O60; O71; or R03).
Medical records for each delivery service must include sufficient documentation to support all diagnosis codes and demonstrate the medical necessity of any Early Elective Delivery.
N.J.S.A. § 30:4D-9.2, “Medicaid to not provide coverage for certain early elective deliveries.”
New Jersey Medicaid Managed Care Contract, Section 4.2.3 “Women’s Health Services,” Section E “Non-medically indicated early elective deliveries.”
American Medical Association, Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) and associated publications and services
Limitations and Exclusions:
While reimbursement is considered, payment determination is subject to, but not limited to:
- Benefit Limitations
- The terms of any applicable provider participation agreement;
- Routine claim editing logic, including but not limited to incidental or mutually exclusive logic;
- Medical necessity; and
- Applicable law, regulatory guidance, government mandates, and the terms of the Managed Care Contract between Horizon NJ Health and the New Jersey Department of Human Services, Division of Medical Assistance and Health Services.