Horizon NJ Health Foot Orthotic Shoes and Inserts Reimbursement Policy
Effective Date: April 1, 2018
To provide guidelines on how Horizon NJ Health shall consider reimbursement of foot orthotic shoes and inserts when prescribed by an eligible provider for an eligible member. This policy outlines the appropriate quantity of units Horizon NJ Health will allow within a calendar year for the HCPCS codes listed below. This policy applies to all professional providers.
This policy will be reviewed annually, revising procedures as necessary to reflect changes to specific guidelines.
This policy applies to Horizon Healthcare of New Jersey, Inc., Horizon Healthcare Services, Inc. and Horizon Insurance Company (collectively “Horizon”) across the following Government Programs lines of business:
- NJ Family Care/Medicaid
- Medicare Advantage Dual Special Needs (HMO D-SNP)
- Participating and Non Participating Providers
- All Medicaid, D-SNP & MLTSS members 22 years of age and older
* This policy does not apply to Medicare, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Advantage PPO, Medicare Advantage PPO-SHBP plans & Medicaid, MLTSS or FIDE-SNP members ages 21 and under.
When the below foot orthotics shoes and inserts are eligible for coverage, Horizon NJ Health shall consider reimbursement as follows:
- For procedure codes L3000, L3001, L3002, L3003, L3010, L3020, L3030 and L3031 up to 4 units of foot orthotic inserts may be provided to the same member during a calendar year.
- For procedure codes L3215, L3216, L3217, L3219, L3221 and L3222 up to 2 foot orthotic shoes may be provided to the same member during a calendar year.
- This policy enforces the denial of units billed above the maximum allowed within a calendar year for the foot orthotic shoes & inserts HCPCS codes listed above.
- Exceptions to (4a) & (4b) above shall be made on a case-by-case basis via Post-Service review. Determination will be made by Horizon NJ Health on the need for additional service and the specific emergency situations, which shall be documented by the provider and submitted with supporting medical records to the address below.
Horizon NJ Health
PO BOX 63000
NEWARK, NJ 07101 Fax:
The CPT codes and nomenclature used in this Policy are subject to revision and/or change by the American Medical Association. In the event of such changes, the Policy will continue to be in force, albeit applied to the new or amended coding so issued until such time as the Policy is reviewed and updated to reflect the new or amended coding.
Limitations and Exclusions:
While reimbursement is considered, payment determination is subject to, but not limited to:
- Members Benefit(s)
- Provider Participation Agreement
- Routine claim editing logic, including but not limited to incidental or mutually exclusive logic.
- Mandated or legislative required criteria will always supersede
- All foot orthotic shoes and inserts with a billed amount over $500 require an authorization
|L3000||FOOT, INSERT, REMOVABLE, MOLDED TO PATIENT MODEL, 'UCB' TYPE, BERKELEY SHELL, EACH|
|L3001||FOOT, INSERT, REMOVABLE, MOLDED TO PATIENT MODEL, SPENCO, EACH|
|L3002||FOOT, INSERT, REMOVABLE, MOLDED TO PATIENT MODEL, PLASTAZOTE OR EQUAL, EACH|
|L3003||FOOT, INSERT, REMOVABLE, MOLDED TO PATIENT MODEL, SILICONE GEL, EACH|
|L3010||FOOT, INSERT, REMOVABLE, MOLDED TO PATIENT MODEL, LONGITUDINAL ARCH SUPPORT, EACH|
|L3020||FOOT, INSERT, REMOVABLE, MOLDED TO PATIENT MODEL, LONGITUDINAL/ METATARSAL SUPPORT, EACH|
|L3030||FOOT, INSERT, REMOVABLE, FORMED TO PATIENT FOOT, EACH|
|L3031||FOOT, INSERT/PLATE, REMOVABLE, ADDITION TO LOWER EXTREMITY ORTHOSIS, HIGH STRENGTH, LIGHTWEIGHT MATERIAL, ALL HYBRID LAMINATION/PREPREG COMPOSITE, EACH|
|L3215||ORTHOPEDIC FOOTWEAR, LADIES SHOE, OXFORD, EACH|
|L3216||ORTHOPEDIC FOOTWEAR, LADIES SHOE, DEPTH INLAY, EACH|
|L3217||ORTHOPEDIC FOOTWEAR, LADIES SHOE, HIGHTOP, DEPTH INLAY, EACH|
|L3219||ORTHOPEDIC FOOTWEAR, MENS SHOE, OXFORD, EACH|
|L3221||ORTHOPEDIC FOOTWEAR, MENS SHOE, DEPTH INLAY, EACH|
|L3222||ORTHOPEDIC FOOTWEAR, MENS SHOE, HIGHTOP, DEPTH INLAY, EACH|