Submitting Pharmacy Claims for OTC, At-Home COVID-19 Test Kits
You can now submit claims for over-the-counter (OTC), at-home COVID-19 tests for Horizon NJ Health members. Horizon NJ Health is aligning with guidance from the New Jersey Division of Medical Assistance and Health Services (DMAHS) to cover eligible OTC, at-home COVID-19 tests.
When submitting claims for OTC, at-home COVID-19 tests, pharmacies must:
- Send a standard NCPDP D.0 claim transaction through the member’s pharmacy benefit.
- Report the National Provider Identifier (NPI) of the dispensing pharmacist in Field No. 411-DB within the NCPDP Claim Segment.
- Assign an original prescription number with zero refills and the National Product Code (NDC) for each test kit dispensed. Do not use the Universal Product Code (UPC).
- Provide a U&C price when a claim includes both prescription and OTC (nonprescription) items.
- Reimbursement for OTC, at-home COVID-19 test kits is limited to no more than two at-home SARS-CoV-2 test kits per date of service and no more than four OTC, at-home COVID-19 test kits per month, for a total of eight tests per month.
- Reimbursement for each test kit will be the lesser of the pharmacy’s network contract rate, the pharmacy’s usual and customary (U&C) price, or $25 for kits containing two tests and $12.50 for kits containing one test. In accordance with 42 C.F.R. § 447.512(b), pharmacies must provide a U&C price when submitting pharmacy claims that include both prescription and OTC (nonprescription) items. NJAC 10:51-1.10 defines U&C as the lowest price charged to the majority of the general public.
- Listed below are OTC, at-home test kits covered by Horizon NJ Health. Additional kits may be covered in the future. Please check NJMMIS.com for updates.
|OTC Brand Name||NDC||Quantity of tests per kit||Reimbursement|
|BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test||11877001140||2||Up to $25|
|CareStart COVID-19 Antigen Home Test||50010022431||2||Up to $25|
|InteliSwab COVID-19 Rapid Test||08337000158||2||Up to $25|
|QuickVue At-Home COVID-19 Test||14613033972||2||Up to $25|
|Flowflex COVID-19 AG Test||82607066026||1||Up to $12.50|
|Flowflex COVID-19 Antigen Test||82607066027||2||Up to $25|
If you have any questions, please call our Pharmacy Help Desk at 1-800-682-9094, extension 81016, weekdays, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Eastern Time (ET), and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Eastern Time.
More Testing Options
The Biden-Harris Administration launched covidtests.gov where residential households in the U.S. can order one set of four free OTC, at-home tests. Orders will ship free starting in late January 2022. This option is available to all of our members, regardless of which health plan they have.
Free testing is also available throughout New Jersey, including at home testing. Visit covid19.nj.gov for more information.