How Can I Report Abuse?

If you think your loved one is the subject of abuse or neglect, report it immediately to the Care Manager and the appropriate state personnel, as listed below.

When making the call, be ready to give the member’s name, address, contact information, and details about why you are concerned.

Adult Protective Services

The New Jersey Adult Protective Services (APS) program has offices in each of the 21 counties. You can make a report to the county APS offices or to:

The Public Awareness, Information, Assistance & Outreach Unit 24-Hour Toll-Free Hotline: 1-800-792- 8820

Child Protective Services

The New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency (DCP&P) handles all reports of child abuse and neglect, including those occurring in institutional settings such as child care centers, schools, foster homes and residential treatment centers.

You must report these to the State Central Registry’s Child Abuse Hotline.

24-Hour Toll-Free Hotline: 1-877 NJ ABUSE (1-877-652-2873) TTY: 1-800-835-5510

Facility-Based Complaints and Investigation

Office of the Ombudsman for the Institutionalized Elderly investigates claims of abuse and neglect of people age 60 and older living in nursing homes and other long-term health care facilities, such as assisted living facilities.

Telephone: 24-Hour Toll-Free Hotline: 1-877-582-6995


  • The Office of the Ombudsman P.O. Box 852
    Trenton, NJ 08625-0852


Fax: 609-943-3479

The NJ Division of Health Facilities Evaluation and Licensing investigates all complaints against health care facilities, nursing homes, assisted living residences, comprehensive personal care homes, adult medical day care, and other licensed acute and long-term care facilities.

24-Hour Toll-Free Hotline: 1-800-792-9770


  • New Jersey Department of Health
    Division of Health Facilities Evaluation and Licensing
    P.O. Box 367
    Trenton, NJ 08625-0367